Carpenter House, fondly known as 'Carpie', began its life in Gatcombe (now part of Bishop's Fox House) in 1952. It later moved to Stoneleigh which was bought in 1961 and a special dormitory block was added in 1965. The house was named after Rev Spencer Cecil Carpenter (1877-1959), Provost from 1935 to 53, who had previously served as Chaplain to the King between 1929 and 1935.
An impressive oak desk, presented by his widow Phyllis, takes pride of place in the houseparents study. Even though girls were gradually integrated into the boys' house from the early seventies, it was in 1994 that Carpenter officially became the second girls' boarding house at King's College.
The history of Carpenter house is very important to us, as shown by the timeline of annual house photographs we display along the corridors. We are always pleased to hear from old boys and girls who would like to visit or tell us their stories of life in Carpenter.