The subscription fund for a memorial to Old Aluredians who fell in the Great War was opened in 1916. The final memorial comprised a stone cross placed in the Chapel Quadrangle and a marble slab bearing the names of the fallen on the wall leading to the Chapel.
The memorial was designed by architect Walter E Tower who had designed the Chapel and was dedicated by the Bishop of Bath and Wells on 6 March 1920. The inscription at the base of the cross can be translated as ‘To the Old Aluredians who died gloriously for their country 1914-1919. From afar they await the last trumpet call’.