Learning Support at King's is about encouraging pupils with specific learning difficulties to adopt good working practice and become independent learners. We support pupils in all subjects across the curriculum starting in the Third Form, through GCSE and A Level as required.
Our primary goal is to encourage pupils to become effective independent learners by understanding their difficulties, finding strategies to overcome these, and building on their strengths to raise self-esteem.
The main educational and developmental objectives of support lessons are:
- to provide excellent educational and pastoral support across the curriculum
- to improve personal and academic organisation skills
- to explore strategies to enable better recall of information
- to explore methods of improving structure, depth and quality of written responses
- to develop more effective and fluent reading skills
- to develop language and communication skills
- to improve accuracy of spelling, punctuation and grammar
- to develop good listening skills
- to improve revision and examination technique
Essentially we aim to provide a secure foundation on which pupils with difficulties can build self-esteem and independence, so they are able to approach both academic work and peer relationships with greater confidence.
Lessons are always taught one-to-one and at a time that best suits each individual so as not to compromise other work. Sometimes we advise pupils to opt for one less subject, especially at GCSE, in order to relieve academic pressure. This provides:
- a regular slot for specialist tuition
- additional study periods for catching up, re-organising notes, extended reading, editing, etc
- a window for other tuition, e.g. music lessons
- invaluable time for preparing exam coursework
From time to time any pupil may require a guiding hand to help improve memory, essay writing, or exam technique. With this in mind, there is a learning support service for occasional advice or assessment. This has proved to be popular across the age and ability range.