What are we doing to make ourselves heard?
Initiatives have been undertaken by a number of pupils to raise whole school awareness of sustainability. Here are some examples:
- There is now a prominently displayed notice board detailing KSS activities.
- Switch off stickers have been added to the light switches.
- The KSS Eco-schools Group regularly present whole school assemblies updating staff and pupils on activities.
- Evidence has been collected for almost every school subject to show that sustainability principles are being taught across the curriculum.
King's Sustainability Strategy
King’s Sustainability Strategy (KSS) is the inclusion of sustainable principles into the King’s College Community.
In addition to several staff members who are involved, pupils also contribute towards sustainability initiatives by taking part in a Monday afternoon service activity called Eco-Schools. During this time, pupils follow an Eco-School Programme and research a number of topics. Areas that are covered include: energy, water, waste, biodiversity, healthy living, transport and global perspective.
Pupils are given the opportunity to research areas that interest them and they can then put forward suggestions and possible strategies for how it can be improved within the school. In 2013, the pupils achieved a bronze award for their activities and last year, the pupils made a lot of progress towards achieving a silver award. We were delighted to receive this award in January 2016.
What has been achieved so far?
- We have installed a number of thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) across the school. The idea is that both pupils and staff can control how much heat is given off by each radiator and more importantly, they can switch them off!
- A new swimming pool cover has been installed. The benefits of this are two-fold: firstly less electricity is now used because the cover keeps the heat in; and secondly, less water is used because the cover prevents water loss through evaporation.
- The refurbishment of the physical education classrooms over the summer holidays has included the installation of LED lighting. This will reduce energy consumption within those classrooms by 50%.
- We have now installed solar panels onto the roof of the sports hall.
For further information about King's Sustainability Strategy please contact Miss Christina Mann.
Tel: 01823 328135