“The nature of golf means you can fire up the competitive instincts across the generations ... many of my OA friends have stayed in touch thanks to golf.”
- Richard Norman OA, Bishop Fox 1992
“On site facilities would mean more King’s pupils could start the game far earlier than I did … it would make a huge difference to our programme and my hope is to produce a larger foundation for our Grafton Morrish team as well as our other fantastic OA golf events throughout the year.”
- Phil Lewis, Director of Sport
Case for Support
As Director of Development, one of the perks of my job is to meet successful Old Aluredians like the irrepressible Ross Stacey OA, Bishop Fox 2001. Ross is Senior Chef at the renowned River Café in Hammersmith. When not turning out food to die for, he is completing sub 1:30 minute half marathons and playing golf with old school chums like Richard Norman OA, Bishop Fox 1992; another Foxer with a lifelong passion for the game of golf.
Golfing OAs are noticeably enthusiastic in terms of events and general engagement with King's, evidenced by the active Pelican Golf Society, who, under Martin Evans’ (Bishop Fox 1967) chairmanship, hold two well attended golf days in summer and autumn each year and have annual matches against other West Country schools. King’s is also represented in the annual Public Schools Putting Competition held at Royal Wimbledon Golf Club organised by Roger Vincent OA, Woodard 1963. King’s is a member of the Grafton Morrish Golf Association and the OAs have put in creditable performances in the Grafton Morrish Trophy, which is contested annually between public schools across the UK. The King’s kinship lives on in these golfers. As one of the few activities that current pupils, staff and OAs can play against each other (away from the tyranny of risk assessments), the golf legacy is one we would like to invest in for future generations.
To that end the school aims to raise the funds to build an onsite golf facility to encourage more of our pupils to take up the hobby, to make lessons, practice and improvement more accessible to our existing players and to attract more golfing families to King’s in the future.
Currently, our 15 or so young golfers make the journey up to Taunton & Pickeridge once a week; no great hardship I know, but, in reality the journey time eats in to playing time, the participation level is governed by the minibus size and beginners find a smart golf club a tad intimidating. You will know that playing once a week does not a good golfer make.
With your support and generosity, we can make taking up, playing and mastering golf at King’s a great deal more fun, and attractive to our pupils.
Our fund raising target is £30k to provide the following facilities onsite at King’s:
“If we had on-site practice facilities at King’s it would be awesome. It would mean I would be able to practise a lot more often to improve my game, without having to drive to the nearest course!”
- Polly Gammon, KCT Pupil, Meynell
Three Pro Series mats, nets and side barriers facilitating safe indoor lessons and practice all-year round. Nets to be situated in the Sports Performance and Cricket Centre (SPCC). This will come with PGA standard skytrac tracking technology and screens to teach, monitor and display swing technique, ball strike, speed and trajectory.
PGA standard skytrac tracking technology and screen to teach, monitor and display swing technique, ball strike, speed, trajectory, spin, attack angle.
Year Round Outdoor Practice Area
All weather chipping, pitching and putting area with three striking pods.
There are four ways you can help.
1. If you have just won the pools, you could write a cheque for thirty thousand pounds and we can name the new facility after you. The champagne would be on me personally.
2. Gather three golfing chums and join us for three days of golf at Trevose Golf and Country Club from the evening of Thursday 24 through to Saturday 26 October 2019. Part of the proceeds from this weekend will go towards the golf facility. Please find details of the weekend below ...
3. Click here and join the 1880 Club. As a regular donor, you can specify your donation be allocated to the golf facility campaign. Every penny is valuable to us as we are able to add 25% gift aid in the case of UK tax payers.
4. Donate a prize for our auction at Trevose Golf and Country Club on Friday 25 October 2019.
As a cherished OA golfer, I hope you will join in with our campaign. If you would like to discuss the proposed facilities or any aspect of the above, please call me, Julian Mack, on 01823 328238.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Director of Development
King's Trevose Golf Event – Thursday 24 - Friday 25 October 2019
- Two nights (Thursday 24 and Friday 25 October) bed and breakfast accommodation at Trevose Golf and Country Club
- 1 Fourball Bowmaker Team Competition round on the Trevose Championship Course on Friday 25 October
- Three course celebration dinner with half bottle of wine on Friday night
- Optional 18 hole round on Saturday 26 October
- Presentation of prizes and auction on Friday 25 October
£1,000 per fourball (£250 per person)