This building was erected as a memorial to Arthur Salt, OA and teacher at King’s who died at a relatively young age in 1937. Arthur was one of five brothers who were all educated at King’s. A teacher for 18 years, Arthur Salt taught Latin to the Juniors and maths to the Seniors and was Head of the Junior House. He was a keen supporter of school activities, coaching the 1st XV rugby team, re-founding the scout troop and overseeing the tuck shop.
The Gymnasium cost about £2,000 which was raised by OAs, pupils and friends of the school. A two-day fete at King’s was responsible for raising £250. The opening ceremony was held in 1938 when Mr M L Jacks, Director of the Department of Education at Oxford University, along with the Provost Dr Carpenter opened the door with a silver key.
The Gymnasium was fitted with a variety of modern equipment: wall-bars, beams, ropes, box horse and benches most of which were provided by the OA Club. It was the school’s main indoor sporting venue until the Sports Hall was opened in 1981.