Old Gunpowder Room
The Examinations Office was originally the site of the school armoury. From 1903,
when the King’s Officer Training Corps started, this room was used to store
rifles and any ammunition which the Corps was given. By the early 1920s the
storage of explosives underneath what was then the Bishop Fox Dormitory was
deemed to be unwise and the armoury moved out of the main building.
The room continued as the Corps’ Quartermaster’s Store until the 1930s when for the next 40 years it became the main music room before reverting to its original Victorian use as a common room. The photograph here shows the room in use as a Prefects’ Common Room. Obviously the proximity to the Headmaster’s House next door would have controlled the volume of the record player!