One of the original features of the school, the Dining Hall would still be recognisable to any Victorian pupil. Many of the tables and benches are original and the gas light fittings can still be seen along the west wall.
Over the last century though, meal times have become rather more informal. The staff dais no longer exists, although the staff table may still be distinguished by having chairs rather than benches. A servery system has been in operation since 1971 replacing the earlier ‘family service’ where pupils sat in Houses and were served meals by a prefect.
The team shields have been a feature of this room since 1897. Starting in the far right corner they spiral around the walls recording members of the first teams. They are interspersed with portraits of former Headmasters and prominent school figures.