The girls' hockey programme at King's is designed to be varied, purposeful and enjoyable, providing each and every player with a sense of achievement and a positive attitude towards living a healthy lifestyle. It also aims to develop skills, identify talent and vigorously promote it. Excellence, when and where appropriate, is pursued.
- This is made possible by first-class facilities, professional coaches, a large pool of player talent, and a challenging fixture list embraced within our progressive philosophy which closely aligns with the England Hockey coaching philosophy.
- Our facilities include two state-of-the-art sand-dressed artificial turf pitches opened in December 2009 by Simon Mantel (England and GB) and former pupil Maddie Hinch (England and GB). Our fantastic facilities enable us to host county and divisional tournaments at King's.
- The Director of Hockey for the girls' and boys' at King's is Clare Hayes, an EHB Level 4 coach. Clare is also an England Hockey Centrally Contracted Coach at the Exeter Junior Regional Performance Centre and has worked with boys and girls at the England Hockey Futures Cup’s, HIPAC’s and worked as an assistant with the England U16 girls. Clare also currently works at the England Hockey advanced apprenticeship in sporting excellence camps (AASE).
- There are 10 staff involved in the hockey coaching, including a specialist goalkeeper coach, several of whom have had National, JRPC, JAC and JDC coaching and playing experience. We invest in our coaching staff to ensure they are best able to work with our players. These staff work with the nine girls' teams throughout the Michaelmas Term. Individuals are encouraged to seek representative honours in the England Hockey Single System and are thoroughly supported throughout.
- Tours are undertaken on a regular basis. Recent tours have taken us to Barbados, Singapore and Malaysia, South Africa and Jamaica.
- We seek to host guest coaches to inspire the players, Tom Carson (England and GB) has recently been in to work with the girls and we have trips planned up to the National Indoor Finals at Wembley and the Champions Trophy at the Olympic Park this summer. The players are able to have one to one and small group coaching sessions with Clare throughout the summer term and we enter a girls’ team in the local club summer league. We try to enable the players who wish to be able, to access hockey all year round.
- We run regular holiday camp programmes to which all are very welcome.
- We enter the National Schools competitions at U14, U16 and U18 level and regularly reach the County semi-finals and finals. In 2014 the U14 team were crowned regional champions and went to the national final at the Lee Valley Stadium (2012 Olympic hockey stadium). This was an amazing experience for the girls and a remarkable achievement from such a small school! In 2015 the U14’s were crowned County Champions and achieved a third place at the regional finals.
- We welcome everyone who wants to play hockey, be it their first foray into this amazing sport or if they are seasoned campaigners and we will bring out the best in all of them.
For fixtures, results and match reports, please visit the King's College Sports Website by clicking here